Wrestling with a new job

Wrestling coach LC Davis tackles a new position within PHS

Story by Ian Sullivan, Reporter

As the 2021-2022 school year began at Pittsburg High School, LC Davis decided he wanted a new challenge. Formerly the in-school suspension supervisor, Davis has since accepted the job as the Communities In Schools Student Support Coordinator. 

While technically not an employee of the district, Davis still works with students at the high school.

“Communities in Schools Mid-America is who I work for, and they have a national organization of community schools all over the nation,” Davis said, “but the  Mid-America portion is centrally located here in the Kansas/Missouri area.”

Communities in Schools believes “that every student, regardless of race, gender, ability, zip code, or socioeconomic background has what they need to realize their full potential in school and beyond. We walk by their side, in their communities, to challenge the systems and barriers that stand between them and their success in life.”

As the student support coordinator, Davis’s job is to help any student that may be at a disadvantage.

“Not every student is blessed with the same environment, upbringing, and home environment as everyone else,” Davis said, “My job is to make sure those students that are lacking in those areas can succeed.”

After identifying a student that may need help, Davis starts by setting up a goal to fit each student’s needs.

“I have to identify where they’re struggling and then I set a goal with a student, and we work towards that goal throughout each quarter, until the end of the year,” Davis said.

Davis can provide a multitude of items, depending on what the student needs.

“[I can provide] anything as far as basic needs like toothpaste, clothes, school supplies,” Davis said, “If there’s something that is out of my range of providing it’s my job to look outside of the community and outside the school to find other resources to help those students.”

As the head wrestling coach at PHS, Davis hopes to carry over his coaching philosophy into his new job.

“One reason I like to coach is more than just coaching athletes. I like to coach life, coaching these kids into being good human beings,” Davis said, “and I feel like I get to do that in even a broader aspect now with this new job so I’m excited about basically being a life coach.”

According to Davis, he is enjoying his new job.

“I enjoy what I’m doing. I’m really proud of the work that I’m going to be doing,’ Davis said, “It’s just with any new job, you have to learn all the ins and outs and get the hang of it.”

Davis’s main goal within his new job is to see students succeed.

“[I hope] to help kids succeed in school, graduate, and succeed in life,” Davis said, “The biggest goal for me is to see someone win in life, so this is awesome work that I’m getting to do.”