Remembering Kobe Bryant

Sophomores Grant Roelfs and Austin McKechnie pay tribute to retired NBA player

Story by Ashlan Brooks, Print Co-Editor, Online Co-Editor

Following the recent death of retired National Basketball Association (NBA) player Kobe Bryant, shock waves have been resonating around the country and in the hearts of some at PHS. Many students and celebrities have posted a tribute to him on social media and expressed grief at he and his 13 year old daughter, Gianna’s death in a helicopter crash on Sunday.

“It’s extremely sad for the basketball world,” Sophomore Grant Roelfs said. “He was one of the most influential people in the sport. It still doesn’t feel like [his death] happened.”

Kobe Bryant received an award for Most Valuable Player (MVP) in the 2007-08 basketball season and has since then received three more, making him the player with the most awards of that kind. He made contributions to basketball through his team after he held a guard position on the Los Angeles Lakers for 20 years, the longest time recorded.

“His work ethic was unmatched by anyone in the sport,” Roelfs said. “I try to model my work after him.”

He was a valued player on the court and, after his retirement, he became an equally cherished member of the community. With the help of his wife, Vanessa Bryant, he founded the Bryant Family Foundation, an organization dedicated to improving the lives of children and families in need. The foundation has given at least one million dollars to build a museum for African American History. Kobe Bryant also personally met with over 100 Make-A-Wish Foundation children.

“He did some very incredible things outside of basketball” Sophomore Austin McKechnie said. “Everyone has treated [his death] with respect and they called him the Mamba because of how hard he worked. He was just great at doing what he did.”