Student Publication of Pittsburg High School.
  • jmw
    • Chapter 1
    • Chapter 2
    • Chapter 3
    • Chapter 4
Back to Article
Back to Article

Taking in downtown Lawerence

Photo by: Hannah Abarca

Photo by: Hannah Abarca

Photo by: Hannah Abarca

Taking in downtown Lawerence

June 13, 2019

Music floats through the air in downtown Lawerence as a street player picks at his guitar. A young college student speed walking with a coffee in one hand and a book in the other. A t-shirt shop on one corner and a surf shop on the next, all with a unique story to tell. 

Striped Cow

Back to Article
Back to Article

Striped Cow

Photo by: Hannah Abarca

Photo by: Hannah Abarca

Photo by: Hannah Abarca

Buyers like Libby Gard are always on the lookout for new additions to Striped Cow. Striped Cow buyers purchase local products, ranging from candles to clay creations, to resale in their shop. In Striped Cow’s first year, they were selected for second place for the best new shop in the Best of Lawrence. “We’re an all-inclusive store,” Gard said. “We mean that in every sense of the word.”

Acme

Back to Article
Back to Article

Acme

Photo by: Hannah Abarca

Photo by: Hannah Abarca

Photo by: Hannah Abarca

The entire right wall of Acme is covered in different TV characters and Musicians pasted on colorful t-shirts. Whether a customer is looking to buy a gift or a custom shirt, store manager Katlyn Conroy says that Acme can be a creative outlet. “It allows a very creative town to express themselves in a really fun way,” Katlyn Conroy said. “I’ve worked here for six years and it’s the best job I’ve ever had.”

Sharks Surf Shop

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sharks Surf Shop

Photo by: Hannah Abarca

Photo by: Hannah Abarca

Photo by: Hannah Abarca

Opened in 1989, Sharks Surf Shop has sold t-shirts and other surf-related products on Masstreet for 30 years. Shop owner Steve Schoepflin has been in retail for several years working with large corporations such as Banana Republic and Abercrombie and Fitch. In search of downsizing, he and his wife bought Sharks Surf Shop from a previous owner and moved to Lawrence. According to Schoepflin, his t-shirts have gained a cult following among the people of Lawrence. “Our store is all about the causal and relaxed California vibe because every town deserves a surf shop,” Schoepflin said. “We are just trying to make [our store] fun and exciting.”

Wonderfair

Back to Article
Back to Article

Wonderfair

Photo by: Hannah Abarca

Photo by: Hannah Abarca

Photo by: Hannah Abarca

Wonderfair’s mission is “We support community efforts to create a more equitable Lawrence, particularly when those efforts are concerned with racial justice, queer and trans issues, fem and non-binary empowerment, or the development of Downtown Lawrence.” Rachel Sandler, a four-year employee, says that Wonderfair’s political involvement has made an important effect on the community. “Our art outreach has definitely made an impact and so has our political organizing,” Sandler said. “When the mid-term happened in November, we endorsed the different democratic candidates that were running.”