Student Media of Pittsburg High School

Q&A: Student spotlight

The Booster Redux interviewed students about the challenges and rewards of jobs. Below are their responses.

May 1, 2019

Nate Shriver, junior 

“My parents were the ones who originally thought I should get a job because I was spending a lot of their money. Usually, I work about 30 hours a week and sometimes my hours can be kind of crazy. Tonight, I work from five to midnight, but tomorrow, I start at six. Sometimes, my grades suffer because I’m not home to do my homework. I don’t have a lot of time to do any extra things like hanging out with my friends or anything like that because I’m always working.”

Kamryn Bennett, junior 

“My mom knew I was capable of handling a job and I wanted to be more independent and didn’t want to spend my parents’ money all the time. I usually save my money or put some of it towards my car payment or sometimes, I’ll help out my family a little bit. I’ve definitely learned how to work with difficult people and how to deal with situations that I’m not used to. I work quite a bit and I’m in photojournalism, so I don’t get to shoot on Friday nights.”

Logan Mackey, sophomore 

“One time, someone wasn’t done eating, and I bussed their table. They were in a hurry, they brought out their food and there was nobody there, so I bussed the table. As soon as I finished, he was like, ‘We’re not done eating.’ My boss told me that it has happened before and it will probably happen again. Having a job has taught me I don’t want to work in the food industry for the rest of my life. School doesn’t convey how important it is to go to college, and how worth it is to get the education you want.”