Sophomore Camron Jefferson competes at XC state

Photo by: Cole Jameson
Sophomore Camron Jefferson competed at the 5A state contest at Rim Rock in Lawrence. This was Jefferson’s first year competing in cross country.

Story by Hannah Gray, Print Co-Editor, Online Co-Editor

Sophomore Camron Jefferson was the only Pittsburg runner that qualified for cross country state this year.

Jefferson ran an overall time of 18:07.1 and earned the place of 84th out of 102, averaging a 5:49 mile. 

This was Jefferson’s first year running on the team. 

“It was a new thing for me and it was challenging. I had no idea what I was getting into and how complicated it was,” Jefferson said. “But my teammates were always there for me and it got much easier.”

Since this is his first year attending state, Jefferson is bringing a veteran runner along with him.

“I was nervous being the only one competing,” Jefferson said. “But I am taking Cole Jameson with me and he’s been to state before so he is experienced. He is going to show me around and all that.”

After completing his first year of running, Jefferson has decided to continue running for the cross country team during his high school career. 

“I was super nervous and I didn’t know what to expect but I want to continue with running. Next year I’m hoping to PR at least twice. And I hope to qualify for state a couple more times, it was really fun.”

According to Jefferson, success should be contributed to the togetherness of the team. 

“We spent a lot of time together and did a lot of fun things together,” Jefferson said. “I got a lot of experience running my first year because of it.”