Starting the season

Story by Joseph Lee, Co-Editor-In-Chief

The varsity tennis team had their first tournament of the season on Thursday, Aug. 29th in Parsons, Kansas. 

Five southeast Kansas schools competed at the tournament and Pittsburg placed second with one point shy of a first-place tie with Independence. 

Junior Emily McGown placed 2nd in the number one-bracket with a 3-1 record and sophomore Marci Brown placed 1st with a 4-0 record in the number two-bracket for singles. 

Senior Carmen Kent and junior Emma Lawson played number one, placing 3rd with a 2-2 record and junior Lilly Cawyer and sophomore Elle Slaughter played the number two, placing 2nd with a 3-1 record for doubles.  

Head coach John Seal says Thursday was the highest Pittsburg has ever placed at the tournament. 

“We held 3 match points vs. Independence,” Seal said. “[We] could have taken this tournament. Our girls played with great effort.”

Normally a singles player, Thursday was Cawyer’s first time competing in a varsity doubles bracket. 

“Honestly, I was a little nervous but I love tennis and playing doubles,” Cawyer said. “Afterwards, I was pretty happy about how Elle and I did.  It was our first tournament playing together and it went well.” 

Cawyer has high hopes for her second year on the varsity team. 

“I love tennis and getting to spend time every day with the team is great,” Cawyer said. “Mostly, I am looking forward to just playing and having fun.”