Running to reach goals

Wilks takes top titles at state track

Senior+McKenzie+Wilks+throws+her+hands+in+the+air+with+joy+after+she+crosses+the+finish+line+at+the+Girard+Relays.+

Photo by: Kamryn Kelley

Senior McKenzie Wilks throws her hands in the air with joy after she crosses the finish line at the Girard Relays.

Story by Maddy Robison, Social Media Manager/Reporter

Sitting on the bus, senior McKenzie Wilks prepares herself for the upcoming track meet.

Wilks is leading the state in the mile with 4:58 and the 800 meter with 4:17. She is also second in the state in the two mile and fourth in the 400 meter.

“[I would like to] win at least three more state championships while I’m here,” Wilks said.

Wilks has goals the rest of her high school career as well as her upcoming college season.

“This season I would like to qualify for the US juniors team, if I don’t get that then I would like to compete in the New Balance nationals,” Wilks said. “Next year I just want to focus on improving and compete in as many big meets as I can.”

With support from her family and friends, Wilks will continue her running career at the University of Kansas this fall.

… I just want to focus on improving and compete in as many big meets as I can.

— McKenzie Wilks

“My dad motivates me most, he’s always pushing me and telling me what I need to do to improve my next race. He breaks down every competitor and every event,” Wilks said.

Wilks’ advice to lower classmen is to keep running and training even when it’s difficult.

“Don’t give up, I’ve put in so many miles and so many hours and I’m definitely stronger than I have ever been,” Wilks said.