Pittsburg High School news online

The Booster Redux

Duncan Dominates Denver

Story by: Jorden Johnson, Reporter

On the weekend of March 18, wrestlers from all around the U.S. gathered to compete at the Rocky Mountain Nationals event in (Denver, Colorado) and this year, senior Deveron Duncan took first place

Not only is this his first year attending the event, but he has been improving his overall skills, and working on adjustments to help him get to this stage in his career.

“I try to go to bigger tournaments, but before I got to go to this one tournament it was hard and I couldn’t really get to that point in my career until this year,” Duncan said.

Duncan admitted he faced difficult competition this year, which for him was the hardest obstacle he had to overcome.

After three days of competition and winning first place, Duncan was awarded a WWE belt, which he gave to wrestling coach Scott Rieck to put in the wrestling room.

Rieck has been coaching Duncan since he started wrestling his sophomore year. According to Rieck, when wrestlers get the opportunity to go to larger tournaments they take their chances.

“Deveron is a special individual who is very athletic,” Rieck said. ”His skill level came along together real nice over the past three years, and he was very prepared for [the competition]. From his sophomore year to this year as a senior he has improved certain techniques that have transferred over to the place he is at today with his wrestling career.”

Duncan pinned his first opponent and beat his second and third.

“The first day was duals with our team,” Duncan said. “I went undefeated [in my first] four matches. The second day was individuals, and the third day was my finals match [where] I was in the finals and won,”

Duncan felt winning the Rocky Mountain National was the best way to end his high school  wrestling career.

Duncan used his own motivation to make it that far in the tournament.

“I just liked the thought of going up against any competition at any level. I was wrestling guys with more experience who lived all around the United States,” Duncan said.

According to Rieck, Duncan is a special individual who is very athletic, and an athlete who has grown in his skill level the past three years, resulting in Duncan being prepared for this stage in his career.“I was very confident going into [the national competition]. I told everyone I was going to win it.When I got there, I definitely had competition. It’s never easy, but I never underestimate anyone, and I did what I had to do. That’s what got me through the competition,” Duncan said. “It was definitely the best way to end my wrestling career with such a big win going against people who doubted me.’’