Roelfs steps down as head coach, joins as assistant as Jordan Woods leads varsity basketball

Photo by: Francisco Castaneda

Head coach Jordan Woods discusses a play during time out of the first round of substate against Blue Valley Southwest. The Dragons won and hosted Spring Hill in the substate championship game on Saturday, March 6.

Story by Ian Sullivan, Reporter

After 21 years of leading the PHS basketball team as head coach, Kiley Roelfs decided to step down.

“At the end of last season I decided it was time to step down.  The main reason is that it just felt like it was time.  I had done it for so long and it was just time to move on and let there be a new voice leading the program,” Kiley said.

The new voice that Kiley was referring to is former assistant coach, Jordan Woods.

“The transition was about as smooth as it could be despite being limited in the summer with activities and not playing in teams camps like we normally do,” Woods said, ”Being in the program before was a great benefit”

According to Woods, Kiley was very helpful throughout the transition process.

I was honored to have Coach Woods ask me to stay on as part of his staff.  I have so much respect for him and what he has done for our program and students.”

— Kiley Roelfs

“Coach Roelfs has helped in countless ways, there is a lot that goes into coaching besides getting to show up and play games and he has helped tremendously a lot in that aspect and just having someone to talk to that has experienced the same things.”

One of the first things Woods did as head coach was request that Kiley return as an assistant.

“I was honored to have Coach Woods ask me to stay on as part of his staff.  I have so much respect for him and what he has done for our program and students,” Kiley said, “Staying on the staff also gave me the opportunity to continue to be around my son Grant while he is playing the game and I really do love the game.”

Kiley has enjoyed his role change in the basketball program.

“I enjoy trying to help our student-athletes improve and potentially get ready for the varsity level.   I have really enjoyed the change.”

Grant Roelfs, 11, has spent all 3 years playing basketball with his father on the coaching staff.

“It has been weird, but he’s still the freshmen coach so it’s nice to still have him around,” Grant said.

Grant believes that Woods has handled the team well in his first year.

“Coach Woods has done a good job this year dealing with the COVID guidelines and also having us prepared for games,” Grant said.

According to Kiley, he is enjoying his spare time.

“The extra time has just given me time to do a few more things around home and with my family which has been really good,” Kiley said, “Less stress is always a good thing and it has definitely made a difference in my day.”