Painting with a passion

Art club paints around town, community

Story by Maddy Robison, Social Media Manager/Reporter

Freshman Emily Tarter, an art club member, adds the finishing touches to her drawing. Photo by Morgan Noe

While other students prepare with paper and pens for their club meeting, Art club president Alesha Lawson, junior, grabs a brush and paint.

Art club works on a variety of projects and community service throughout the year.

“We have meetings every month to organize activities. We also do a ‘make and take’ where the kids have the opportunity to come in, do a project then take it home,” sponsor Rebecca Lomshek said. “We try to sponsor booths at the art walk, paint murals in town and face paint at the football games.”

Lawson enjoys being able to share her passion with the community.

“We are working on painting recycling bins and different murals around town,” Lawson said. “Art has always been a passion of mine and I like knowing that my art benefits the community.”

Freshman Grace Puckett enjoys the environment the club provides.

“You get to see a lot of diversity in artistic views, and meet new people,” Puckett said. “[I enjoy] getting to be around people that have the same interests as I do.”

The club has pushed Lawson to improve in her artistic abilities.

“The club definitely drives my passion for art, and it’s nice to

be a part of a small group of people with that same passion,” Lawson said. “Art is a form of inspiration and expression, it’s not about critiquing people, it’s about having fun.”

Lomshek has goals for the club in the future.

“My goal for next year is to have people constantly involved in the year, and keep up the momentum within the club,” Lomshek said “You don’t have to be in art class to be in art club, and you don’t have to feel like you’re a great artist. Art club is for everyone.”