Exploring different cultures

Students welcome new multicultural club, diversity

Photo courtesy of Creative Commons.

Story by Cassidy Bayliss, Reporter

To promote diversity in the school, sponsors Kristin Thomas and Anatolia Ruiz decided to create Multicultural Club.

For junior Rachel Ruiz, multicultural club is a place for people of all different ethnicities, and she says she loves being immersed in different cultures and ideas.

“Multicultural Club is for anyone who wants to learn about different cultures or display their culture,” Rachel said. “I feel like it’s a good way to show students about the diversity we have in our school and community.”

Thomas is glad that PHS was able to introduce this club.

“This has just been one of those clubs that some of the students have said they would always like to discover and explore,” Thomas said. “They want to learn more about a certain nationality or background, and we have had the right students and faculty to start it up this year.”

Anatolia believes that Pittsburg is accepting of people from different backgrounds.

“Pittsburg is a good place, I think mainly for the university. We have many students from many different countries,” Anatolia said. “They have always opened doors for any people to come here.”

Sophomore Carmen Kent enjoys the presentations and activities that go on during the meetings, and decided to join the club to understand the cultural backgrounds of people.

I feel like it’s a good way to show students about the diversity we have in our school and community.

— Rachel Ruiz

“I’d say I’m involved because I like people, I want to know what you came from and what your family’s history is,” Kent said. “We have had a couple of people from outside of the school come and talk and also students in the school talk and tell about their families, and where they originated from, and I think it’s really neat.”

Thomas believes generation Z has grown up accepting people from different backgrounds and culture, and that this generation wants to expand their knowledge and grow as people.

“Kids who want to know more about the beliefs and culture, we also have a lot of kids who aren’t sure about life beyond Pittsburg and they want to know more so they will be educated,” Thomas said. “We have a bunch of kids who when they aren’t sure about and if they are not sure, they believe education is the best way to learn.”