Jones, Leiker qualify for FCCLA state

Photo by: Lane Phifer

Story by Lane Phifer, Multimedia Editor

On Jan. 29, senior Logan Jones and sophomore Zack Leiker received the news at Pittsburg State University (PSU) that they would be able to compete at the Family, Career and Community Leader of America (FCCLA) state competition.

State is inWichita April 5-7. 

With it being Jones’ second year attending state, he looks forward to reuniting with some of the friends he made last year. 

“I am excited because last year I had fun at state with all of the people who love FCCLA just as much as I do,” Jones said. “I am excited to see my friends that I made last year and to present my case to everyone there.”

Jones and Leiker competed at regionals with a poster and speech on the topic of teen drug usage in America. 

“We decided to do the topic of drug usage in teens as our topic because there’s like a lot of the kids around here do drugs,” Leiker said. “We want to bring down the use of it because so many people are dying from it.”

Sponsor Krystal Henderson is looking forward to seeing the boys compete at the state competition and in hopes of qualifying for nationals. 

“Their case is really original and isn’t something I think a lot of students would have thought of addressing,” Henderson said. “I look forward to seeing what they accomplish.”