The Booster Redux

Students encouraged to attend tonight’s DACA March & Rally

Story by: Gina Mathew, Editor in Chief

A rally will take place tonight at 6 at the Pittsburg Farmers’ Market, where junior Ximena Ibarra will be a featured speaker.

Earlier this week, President Donald Trump announced the end of Deferred Action for Childhood

Arrivals (DACA), the Obama-era program allowing undocumented immigrants who came to the U.S. as children to remain in the country.

“I’m actually not a recipient [of DACA] because I was born here, but I know a lot of people who were affected by it, especially in Pittsburg since we do have a large Hispanic community,” Ibarra said.

Many people were directly affected by the ruling, including junior Susana Canales.

“My brother and sisters [are DACA recipients], so it is a family thing,” Canales said. “I was getting my DACA [application] ready because I was brought here [from Mexico] when I was two, but now I can’t get it anymore.”

“It has left about 800,000 people in some sort of legal limbo,” Ibarra said. “They don’t know if they’re going to be deported or protected.”

Flyers were distributed around school Wednesday to encourage students to attend.

Registrar Maggie Serrano sent a mass email to faculty informing them of the event.

“The purpose of the event is to bring awareness,” Serrano said. “People may not know this issue is affecting the residents of our local community, our students, our neighbors.”

Attendees are encouraged to wear white or light-colored clothing.

For more information, visit the event’s Facebook page: DACA March & Rally.