Student Media of Pittsburg High School
Louis+Collins

Photo by: Lane Phifer

Louis Collins

One thing is for sure, being out of the closet feels a lot better than being in it. I feel more like myself. When I came out at the age of 12, I had a lot of friends that were supportive and some that weren’t and because of that, some of them decided to not be my friend anymore. It hurt a lot and it was hard for me to know who I could let in, but now that I’m out and have the support that I need, I feel more like myself. Telling my friends was honestly the easiest part, telling my Mom was a different story because she’s very religious. On that day, I felt anxious and claustrophobic. I remember telling myself that it was a sin, that it was wrong, and that I was a terrible person for being gay. But I told myself that this was something I needed to do, whether my mom would accept me or not. Although she isn’t supportive, I’m just glad she knows. If I could talk to my closest self, I’d say that there’s no point in putting yourself down because there are plenty of people that’ll do that for you, so instead of joining them, beat them. You’re your own person and you deserve to be treated as equally as everyone else.

Pitt Media • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

error:
Donate to Pitt Media
$0
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (0)

The Booster Redux intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. The Booster Redux does not allow anonymous comments, and the Booster Redux requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.
All Pitt Media Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest