The Booster Redux

Shame is trending

Ussery reviews Netflix's "Audrie and Daisy"

Story by Brooklyn Ussery, Reporter

Released on Sept. 23, 2016, “Audrie and Daisy” is a film about two teens who were sexually assaulted by who they thought were their friends. Humiliated online and harassed by their communities, both of the girls in the film had no previous relation, but their stories were very similar to one another. These young women were only 14 years old when they were both sexually assaulted. Both of these girls never imagined these things to happen to them, and it changed their lives forever. In my opinion, “Audrie and Daisy” was a very heartbreaking and eye-opening film.

Audrie was just beginning high school. Drunk and passed out at a party, she had four boys put inappropriate words all over her body, color half of her face black with a marker and stripped her down. They also took footage of uninvited penetration. Ten days later, she was so fed up with all of the harassment on and offline that she took her own life.

Daisy’s story went a little like this. She was a freshman in high school and the upperclassmen boys invited her to hang out. They were all under the influence of alcohol and she snuck out with her friend, Paige. They blacked out and were sexually assaulted. The next morning, her mom found her frozen to the ground in the front yard, brought her inside to a warm bath and noticed redness and bruising around her genital area. Her mom then pursued with going to the hospital for frostbite before she realized it was much larger than frostbite.

The boys who assaulted these girls were between the ages of 14 and 17. Still in high school, these boys were harassed at school, got called “rapists” and had their materials vandalized.

When watching this film, I realized sexual harassment is much bigger than we all portray it to be. No one will ever understand how it feels until it happens to you and, in this documentary, it shows you that. It’s a very emotional story and you can just feel the hurt for everyone involved with this.

This film needs to be more spread out and given to a larger group. Just thinking about how not even one of these boys who sexually assaulted these girls had charges pressed on them makes me sick to my stomach. No one ever deserves to have this happen to them. That’s why I think that if this got spread, it would be more eye-opening to the public.

Every 98 seconds, a U.S. citizen is assaulted and, every eight minutes, that victim is a child and only six out of 1,000 predators actually go to jail. “Audrie and Daisy” is a much larger film than sexual assault. It shows you how to overcome it. It shows the difficulties of moving on from an experience like this. This is the most emotional documentary that I have ever watched and I advise you to watch it as well. It will not let you down, I promise. I would highly recommend this film. It brings it to life and makes you feel and open your eyes to this thing that does happen a lot.